Metal Gear

Sput Vas Normandy

There's a lot of buzz around Shenmue 4
Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Starfield
Okay, I finally played... Months happened so I'm cold now so I can finally say... What the fucking hell.

@Nathanial Essex
@xatruio
@Kodama
@red
@danielmann861

Okay let me see. First lets start with the good stuff of the game, because like I said before indeed it's a great game, but not a great MGS.

The gameplay it's beautiful. I mean let's be honest guys, Metal Gear Solid wasn't the best gameplay of the world, just remember that camera... Actually, the gameplay of Metal Gear saga wasn't "the best" of the saga preciselly. But this gameplay fix all. It was necesary an open world? Maybe not, and maybe was a bit empty, but it wasnt a disaster.

The music was great too, like always. I dont need to put the songs here because you know them all, another good point.

Now let me see... Characters design... What? Is that Ocelot? Really? He was the voice of reason in the game, even Kaz were more often trying to burn it all... I can't believe it, I really can't believe what they did with Ocelot as a character. Because it's so not-real. In the 60s was the Ocelot we knew in MGSIII, in the 90s and 2000' was the same, but HEY, IN THE 80s HE WAS A NEW AND DIFFERENT MAN (HAVE YOU EVER HEARD ABOUT JESUS CHRIST, SON??) What????? Who wrote this??? The same who wrote MGS and MGSIII and IV???

Let's not talk about if it's good or not that Quiet is always semi-nude, because japanese are japanese. But look at the end... "I can't speak, I hope we can speak in other language...So... Bye" Really? That's it? I dont buy it dude, you can speak in a different language, you guys are in a fucking base with people who speaks like 30 different languages... And it's a complete DISGRACE that the most "deep" moment of the game, was the end of Quiet, a character that you made for fan service who is nude and even doesnt fucking speak. HOLY SHIT, THE DEEP MOMENT IT'S THE END OF QUIET GUYS, THAT MEANS YOU DID SOMETHING WRONG ABOUT THE HISTORY.

8:32 IS THIS EPIC KOJIMA? REALLY? THIS WAS SON CRINGE...

And Skull? Appeared like 4 times in the game, being bad because Ohh I'm so bad but maybe I'm right I'll let you know my story and my intentions someday kid... What the hell with this villain.

The story is so wrong. It's so fucking wrong and I Insist, the only """""epic""""" moment it's Quiet leaving... Holy shit Kojima, what have you done.

And besides all it's a good game, but you know why I'm mad with it? Because this game have it all to be PERFECT, to be 10. You have great graphics, we are not in ps1 and psp era anymore, you have a great gameplay this time, epic music, you have the story almost over technically, you just need to explain a few stuff, you have it all to be a great game, you only need a good story. No THE great story, only a decent good story and that's it. This will be legendary, like MGSIII. But no. You didnt. You had to screw it at the end.

Damn it Kojima, Damn...

Last edited:
It's an unfinished game that (quite frankly) outwears it welcome very quickly. I enjoyed it for the first 20 hours or so but after that I noticed just how cut and paste it was. It felt like every base was indistinguishable from the last. After about 20 hours, it felt like I was just going through the motions. Nothing stood out. Say what you will about MGS4 but I at least remember huge moments in that game. Going back to Shadow Moses was a MOMENT. The whole fifth act was epic. Where as I felt MGS V was just kinda bland all over. The locales didn't stick out to me or leave a lasting impression (it was all just the same enemy camps in a desert sandbox...really boring, really uninspired Ubisoft style copy and paste)

I think open world didn't really work for me in Metal Gear.

But it's not just that. It's the story and how absolutely flat it is. There's just nothing memorable about this game. And the one thing that could have been interesting (Liquid as a kid) is completely squandered thanks to Konami rushing it out the door in its unfinished state.

And critics gave it a 10 out of 10, why? The game is literally unfinished. But even if it had been finished, I don't think it would have saved it for me...although the proposed lost final act did seem kind of awesome.

But yeah, it just didn't have that certain flavor I regard Metal Gear with. It didn't really feel very Metal Gear at all to me.

So I'd rather just forget the game all together. For me, it ended with MGS 4 and that's where I prefer to leave it.

Before i dive in deep, let's also include MGS4, too, or a general all MGS thread since we are in a Shenmue forum? Series ended for me as a dual trilogy of MG1/2/MGS; MGS2/MGS3/Peace Walker. PW was a surprising bit of fresh air after IV killed itself, Unfortunately the series died on PS2. Should've died on PS3--Snake Eater was originally conceive as a launch/early title. Would've been better of an already classic game of all time.

I was so hyped for this game - I'm not even kidding, I bought the MGSV themed PS4 & everything! But much like many of you I was lead to be very VERY Dissapointed.

There is a lot to be said at what is wrong with MGSV. I think the main issue was that it was just trying to be too ambitious for its own good, breaking away from the traditional Infiltration Mission to an Open World MGS. The problem was the Missions within the game were just padding, while when you look at the moments of I-IV there is always something happening that is relevant to the on going story.

Funnily enough, when it comes to MGS5's story as a whole... it's remarkably unimportant overall... seriously if you choose to ignore it and look at the rest of the series... it works fine:
I never saw the need to explain Big Boss's return the MSX's Metal Gear 2... it really wasn't as far fetched as some of MGS other moments anyways. I just found the whole concept of Retconning it to be very feeble. Upon reflection, I feel nothing for Venom Snake as a character, as the game just lacks any real engaging story moments - other than the opening which still is phenominal... just not when the game has you go through it again...

I also see it as a missed oppritunity, as in the series we here these stories of how BB treated Liquid Snake & it was very loosely explored - I still can't believe a game in this timeline did not feature Young Solid Snake! What a waste! But even with the moments we did have with Liquid they once again feel irrelevant due to it not actually being the real Big Boss. It's a shame we never got a seperate game which featured the real Big Boss during that time period and a bit after prior to the original Metal Gear, but of course that won't be happening now.

Honestly, I don't have much positive to say about the game, the story for Metal Gear is crucial to my enjoyment of the series and this title dropped the ball tremendously - I actually had more fun with Ground Zeroes as it was more focused and set up Skull Face as a character very well! There just wasn't anything memorable about it and with all the padding and upgrading nonsense it just felt a mess.

Of course we can talk about all the other games!

The end it's... Okay. I mean it was a good plot, and it's the only logical reason about Boss appearing in Metal Gear 2. But let me see: "you will turn into devil... You will know why Boss turn into the bad boy..." What? Really? Venom was the BEST GOOD-HEARTED character of all the saga. Hey Venom, we need to help this guys... Done. Hey Venom, we need to kill bad-people-comunist-tosupportfreedom... Done. Hey Venom, if you see animals, can you rescue them? Done. Hey Venom, here are some black kids in the mines, can you rescue them?... Done. Hey Boss, this guy it's a traitor, let's kill him... What? You are going to forgive him? Only going to throw him to the sea with enough food and water to survive till he meet land? COME ON HE'S SUCH A GOOD PERSON, he didnt turn himself into bad because he took "bad/polemical" choices in the game, I want him to be the husband of my hipotetical daughter, Jesus Christ!

Now this is not related to MGS but since this topic has "talking shit" in its title I thought I'd post this here: For years, Hideo Kojima has always reminded me of someone, but I was never able to pin down who it was. Whenever I saw Kojima's face, I always thought "This man looks so familiar." And recently, it hit me.

Kojima reminds me of a younger, asian version of Karl Lagerfeld! And I thought "Yeah, that's it. It was Karl Lagerfeld all along." And now that I know who it was, I think about Lagerfeld every time I see Kojima's face. Can't help it.

What's funny, is that not only does Kojima look similar to him in a weird way. No, it's also Kojima's eccentric, sometimes erratic and pretentious public persona which reminds me of Lagerfeld a lot.

What do you guys think? Does Kojima remind you of Karl Lagerfeld too?

Said it before, technically this is one of the best games every made; the graphics, controls and gameplay are second to none and I thoroughly enjoyed it from a gameplay perspective. With that said, it is with a doubt the biggest disappointment in my life. Ever since playing Peace Walker, I wished for the same game from a modern perspective and got my wish with MGSV but the story was just so poor.

• Skull face, stupid mask aside, was so intimidating during in Ground Zeroes and I could not wait to find out what his agenda was. Just ended up being an forgettable character with no memorable motive
  • The whole plot was just stupid. Parasites, language and all that shit should not have been in there. Just keep the plot simple.
  • Along with the above, certain aspects just seemed unrealistic, even for the MGS universe. Despite being set prior, you had technology that outdid what was demonstrated in the original Metal Gear Solid; such as the actual Metal Gear, iDroid, parasite soldiers and others.
  • Quiet is a cool character but her story about breathing through her skin and her tights are just stupid
  • Worst of all was the ending. The whole thing about not being Snake was just so disappointing. Not only for being stupid but again, demonstrating technology that was no available during the original Metal Gear Solid.

Kojima is a genius with his vision but has to be reigned in at times. Each Metal Gear introduced different plots and scenarios that just got more ridiculous. I wish I was a billionaire and I'll commission for this game to be remade.

sorry my post turned out very long... :censored:

ive heard it said more eloquently online before but metal gear solid is a japanese take on a western action movies made into a game. so its a strange blending of cultures. you see it though out art history, for example, van gogh's art is quite popular in japan because he was inspired by japanese woodblock prints and he blended that style with french impressionism. strangely hideo kojima stated himself, in the past that metal gear solid isn't popular in japan(?)

with each metal gear solid game, they really did push the bar for games higher and higher and a lot of other games companies for what ever reason couldn't match the quality and creativity of hideo kojima. its been said before but i believe mgs1 was the first time cinematic movie making elements were used in a console game and it worked really well.

for me mgs1,2,3,4 & peace walker are great games. i even like mg rising.

i really enjoyed metal gear solid peace walker, i even bought a psp just to buy it when it released. going from mgs4, i knew there was going to be a big graphical downgrade and i was happy to overlook some of the ingame"collecting" elements.. same with repeating missions and doing little side missions.. i kinda felt, yes.. this is a handheld game, they dont expect people like me(lol) to play nonstop until they fully complete it.. and again, i was happy to overlook the "pokemon" collecting elements.

... now mgs5. it was a shock/mild dissapointment to realise that this game.. which again, pushed the bar for gaming higher, took the good elements from the psp game (peace walker) but also everything bad from it as well but seemingly took nothing great from the other mgs games(?) i played 55+ hours of mgs5. i understood what kojima was doing but i didn't want to build a mother base, i didn't want to collect soldiers and i didn't want to replay missions. (the story, bosses, gameplay, ending were either weak or non-existent)

originally when it was announced, i thought... "YES... mgs5, a hideo kojima game, a big budget game, on a new generation console.. kojima is going to take everything great from previous games and apply it to this new game. your going to have crazy bosses, your going to have epic battles, hes even going to take the proxy battles from mgs4 and apply it to this new game.. the story will probably be nuts but it will be great." i was really expecting mgs3 on steroids.

i played the demo (ground zero), it seemed ok, the graphics and gameplay seemed good. the first mission of mgs5 in the hospital was amazing but then on, it just went down hill. i felt like i was playing sniper elite.

i could go on for hours about the things i dont like about mgs5. i might be completely wrong but i think kojima just got carried away. he seemed to want to make an "everything" game and reinvent the wheel, it just didnt work. he seemed to have gotten sick of the formula for metal gear solid games but that what people wanted.

in some peoples eyes, mgsV might be a good game but its a very bad metal gear solid game.. and if you look online or on youtube fans are openly saying it now.

Last edited:
Said it before, technically this is one of the best games every made; the graphics, controls and gameplay are second to none and I thoroughly enjoyed it from a gameplay perspective. With that said, it is with a doubt the biggest disappointment in my life. Ever since playing Peace Walker, I wished for the same game from a modern perspective and got my wish with MGSV but the story was just so poor.
Totally agree. That's why mades me more mad the final game. You had all to do it awesome. Greath graphics, great gamplay, controls, all beautiful. Just need to put a decent story and good character designs (wich by the way we know those characters like 20 years ago so it shouldnt be THAT hard)

• Skull face, stupid mask aside, was so intimidating during in Ground Zeroes and I could not wait to find out what his agenda was. Just ended up being an forgettable character with no memorable motive
  • The whole plot was just stupid. Parasites, language and all that shit should not have been in there. Just keep the plot simple.
  • Along with the above, certain aspects just seemed unrealistic, even for the MGS universe. Despite being set prior, you had technology that outdid what was demonstrated in the original Metal Gear Solid; such as the actual Metal Gear, iDroid, parasite soldiers and others.
  • Quiet is a cool character but her story about breathing through her skin and her tights are just stupid
  • Worst of all was the ending. The whole thing about not being Snake was just so disappointing. Not only for being stupid but again, demonstrating technology that was no available during the original Metal Gear Solid.
Kojima is a genius with his vision but has to be reigned in at times. Each Metal Gear introduced different plots and scenarios that just got more ridiculous. I wish I was a billionaire and I'll commission for this game to be remade.

I must say that the stuff of the parasytes was a pretty interesting concept, but they definetelly made it wrong. But the concept was good, had potential.

The ending... I dont know, yes it was dissapointing, but let's be honest, it was the only logical ending that fix the stuff of Metal Gear 2.

A comment of Youtube said:
This trailer feels NOTHING like the game I played.

He's totally right. And it's a fucking shame.

My issue with the parasites is that it's such a powerful tool it's almost a game breaker. I felt a similar way with Fox Die. Thought it bring a virus that can target anyone was a little unfair and thought they overdid it in MGS4.

In each game, what plot/story would you change?

Don't think I would change anything with the original Metal Gear Solid. Maybe a cure for Fox Die so it doesn't cheaply kill Liquid Ocelot at the end of MGS4.

MGS2 - Maybe change the piece about everything being a simulation. Cool plot but always struggled to see how that would work in practice.

MGS3 - Only finished this once but remember there being a bee boss which I thought was a little corny. I also thought the Metal Gear was just way too advanced for the era.

MGS4 - Bloody nanomachines. Would have rather the mysticism remain with the likes of Vamp. I think. Just changed my mind a little whilst writing this.

I'm thinking about it. Maybe in the trailer... Did they show too much? Because they showed all the game basically.

I'm thinking about it. Maybe in the trailer... Did they show too much? Because they showed all the game basically.
Quite literally. Almost every cut scene was in the trailers to a point I don't think there was one that wasn't.

I completed the first MGS on numerous occasions and fell in love with all the characters. Completed MGS2 more times than I can remember and though I was/am a little on the fence about the story, still is probably the game I have completed the most. Not the biggest fan of MGS3 but liked it and can replay the "Guns of the Patriots" cut scene and the ending with Big Boss from MGS4 over and over again.

Nothing like the above I get from MGSV.

/\ if you like mgs2 check this out

all mgs games are crazy.. you know kojima is a bowie fan? well there is a theory that every character is based on Bowie.

TBH MGS2 is my favourite, I know it's bashed heavily on rookie Raiden but the themes it explore stand out to more than most games I've ever played. Particular Solidus and his fight against the Patriots and how he wanted to leave a mark on the world due to the lack of being able to pass on DNA. Also, I still think it has the biggest jump in Ai, the guards in MGS2 are really clever - Especially in Harder difficulties, you see them work together in formation to take you down rather than just working alone.

My biggest peeve with MGS3 is the Alert system, in MGS2 if a guard sees you, you have a little moment to take him out before the Alert is called - But on MGS3 as soon as your spotted Everybody in the location knows and homes in on you! It made sense in MGS4 with the Hi-Tech in place but not MGS3.

The mother base is supposed to be my home. But... I only go to see a cinematic and to see Quiet having a shower (and Paz ilusions stuff). I cant talk with "my people", they only hail to me. I have no interactions, I dont feel it like "my home" as the game wants me to feel.

The quarantine zone... This people I'm killing (correctly, bc the world will end if this goes outside) are not my brothers, not my comrades. I dont know them. I dont have feelings for them, the game wants me to feel bad because I'm killing them, but they are NPCs that must been killed and actually I'm doing the right thing.

The story and that kind of stuff... Very poor.

Reactions: red
I LOVE the gameplay of the old MGS games. I always thought it was unique and felt right always. Sure it wasn't standardized controls but I think that's what made it so much more engaging...

Then MGS3, subsistence happened. Now, I loved it, and the online was freaking incredible because again of how unique it was. Certainly plenty to complain about, but that's the price of ambition. That's why I loved this series. But, it took that turn towards standardization with the camera controls. I understand from a gameplay perspective it was absolutely necessary, but a certain charm was lost in the process. Still an amazing game though...

Then... then there was MGS4. The biggest dissapointment of my entire life, no exaggeration. Completely standardized controls, completely nonsensical plot, diologues going to in depth you feel like the games isn't giving you any credit for being a fan and already knowing a lot of this shit, and story focus on mediocre things. It was heartbreakingly bad and completely destroyed every sequel and tainted all the games that came before it... really sad...

I played Ground Zeroes and hated it, but only because it was so generic and boring. Nothing actually really wrong with it honestly. 5 came around and I didn't even care, I waited till it was free on PS4. I played through that pretentious godawful overproduced george lucas preqel on crack nonsense of a prolouge and got to the main game. Rode a horse, got spotted by guards immediately, killed some, uninstalled the game. It was just so modern and generic and boring, it lost any MGS charm to me.

RIP MGS series, we barely knew ye. At least Rising was actually kinda cool as a game if you shut your brain off and didn't care about the ridiculous plot...

I'm not gonna talk about the end because Idk but... Damn, I really expected to see this:

This would be a perfect and sweet end. Seeing this scene again, with the full circle, with this new graphics.

But no. Damn it Kojima.

Reactions: red
Back