110 Industries & Yu Suzuki

I admit also finding more pleasant to play the fight system of Sifu, Arkham Asylum, even Condemned... And Yakuza compared to first rounds of S3 system.
I think both the game and player gets better and learn to survive the most harsh enviroment Ryo has been at.
But those lack (also Shenmue 1&2 does) that level of get-a-life martial arts focused. And rural. Those games stand in different ways.

For some of us S3 is what we ever asked in the RPG genre.
The games I mentioned had outstanding atmospheres in their own worlds and we shouldn't be made to choose. But in my case Shenmue 3 its the only title that make me make feel the mud in the shoes for example. I have to restrain myself of going "squish-squash" loud voice. Does it makes lets say Arkham a inferior game? That doesn't make sense.

BTW, there has been a row of crítics here in the last hours to S3 aspects that are respectful, legit and balanced. That talks a lot about the person.

I admit also finding more pleasant to play the fight system of Sifu, Arkham Asylum, even Condemned... And Yakuza compared to first rounds of S3 system.

I have to agree. I kind of wish Shenmue would go down that path if they can't integrate the old Virtua Fighter system/engine. I didn't realise just how much I would miss it, but I really did in Shenmue 3. If they are going to down the route of having a system that is more accessible though, which is what I think Yu Suzuki was trying to achieve with Shenmue 3, then I really feel like they need to do away with all the moves being on the face buttons and look at games like Sifu for inspiration.

Last edited:
They probably don't mention just how exciting it is trying to track down the local thugs, only to get beaten by their boss in a cutscene, despite the player having spent a minute absolutely kicking his ass, which pushes you to reach an artifical gate that forces you to go on a big "lets pad the game out with arbitrary quests" adventure to learn some pointless move that you can't even use in free combat, in order to beat the boss, only for that exact same gameplay loop to be recycled in the second half of the game.

Or maybe they just didn't mention the amazing characters that Ryo achieves a deep relationship with, full of incredible character development, such as:

- Broom girl
- Fat man #1
- Fat man #2
- Kung Fu guy
- Dollar Store Pai
- Mr Muscles

Oh come on man, dont say that only here, thats a waste, you should send this message to some Kotaku journalist so they write an article talking about how shit S3 is and how dead the series is so everybody reads it. Dont limit yourself.

It's a shame some people here doesnt has your refine taste, you're so superior mate, in the dojo we're used to eat shit, not like you. When i grow up i want to be like you.

People and especially haters on internet, are only looking for an echo for their bias, and a weak stance only damage our cause.

Even in 2019 me and a few others complained about this: we never asked to not be honest about the game, we only asked to be conscious about Shenmue situation and to be careful with your tongues, "everything counts in large amounts".

Imagine a sport match, your team lose, a rival fan approach you:

-what's up loser, your team is really weak and you are weak too lol"

now there are many ways to answer or counter this:

1-"go celebrate now, because next time we will win"
2-"we lost for a point, but have you seen the best action of the match from our player? Your team can only dream about a player like ours"
3-"yeah our team wasn't that good, it was a waste of time"

guess what, many of our vocal "fans" choose option 3!
and what is the only answer an hater can give to option 3?

"looooooser, looooooser"

That's the disaster a part of shenmue community did on socials and forums.
Not only that. Because of the fact you couldnt convince other fans to support your team (and everybody was trashing it) your team now is closed. Doesnt exist anymore. You should change of sport buddy

Kotaku hate everything so even if what you said is in jest, I wouldn't be surprised if they did do something like that.

Yeah, it was in jest, don't worry. I am surprised it hasn't already been written to be honest.

May as well lean in hard with the sarcasm, when you have someone making such ridiculous baseless accusations. I mean, I we just had a back and forth discussion here where I was positive about various aspects and mechanics in Shenmue 3, but just because I won't behave as if Yu Suzuki is infallible and won't brush aside negative aspects of the game that I did not enjoy, it's my fault Shemmue IV hasn't happened yet. Ok 😂

*1 moderate comment after 3 years of trashing the game*

"Hey bro look! I'm not saying it's that bad".

Nice clown.

I wont reply the last sentence, you know what we were talking about and youre smart enough to get it, I wont keep feeding the troll.

When did I even trash the game? 😂

Mate, you're making yourself look ridiculous. I have been fairly neutral and moderate, consistently, since day 1.

- I'm gonna check my fandom mindset.
- No, Suzuki-sama, don't.
- Wha.. Why?
- There're cockfights, sir. And scalation.
- ... Bring me my sake, Kota.

Damned @Reprise 'o trolling, where the hell are you I'm gonna eat you. Lets go over DM if you dare. Ha, he won't.
Lolol @Sput Vas Normandy Fatal Fury 😍

Last edited:
No more trolling from me @Seaman, I am turning over a new leaf. I am a reformed character and apologise without hesitation for my appalling transgressions.

Ryo%2BChicken%2B1.jpg

Concerning anime and game in Shenmue series, it just seems mandatory to remind for easyness sake what Yu-san work ethics has been and are still today: It only matters the game. Get it done. Everything else is peanuts.
The anime was, beyond his honest & polite praises to its narrative, a mere vehicle to get popularity on newer audiences and again, get S4 done.
He's the type who watch the numbers and reviews do very well and says "ok, lets wrap it up" and takes the crew aboard for counting on their visual composition, rythm and reconnings.

There's a rumor on Reddit that links to a completely unsubstantiated source pegging Shenmue IV for release in 2025.

Discredited in my book for a few reasons, including it's a 4chan anonymous post and they claim Yu is helping SEGA make the game.

It'd be the other way around, I'd think. No way that YsNet just isn't involved.

I also don't think SEGA cares enough to step up, even though they've talked a lot about revving up older IPs in recent times.

Still--completely weird to see an actual rumor pop up. It's been a while. I still think the money would be on 110.

I don't think anyone from Sega would do the games, as the rumor pegs the Like A Dragon team as *not involved* and I don't think any other team would be up for the challenge.

It's actually really sad to see how much of a shell AM2 has become over the last two decades. Sure they've worked on VF and a few other arcade titles, but they used to be Sega's powerhouse. Now they are just... yeah, a shell, with RGG and Sonic Team getting all the work.

I mean, SEGA bringing back AM2 as a collaborator with YsNet I could see potentially, but this rumor didn't have enough "substance" to make it anything credible.

I've no doubt that a concept for Shenmue IV exists, but I'm remiss on Sega gambling on bringing back that IP for themselves.

They seem content on Yakuza and Sonic, where people have been asking for a sequel to Skies of Arcadia for years.

It's known that a build or template for Shenmue IV was being shopped around, but I don't see anyone taking the gamble but 110.

Sega might acquiesce to the license for Yu, but I don't see them pouring any resources to make it a bigger-budget title done in-house.

The pipe dream would be Sega(with AM2), 110I and YsNet agreeing to do both IV and V and Yu confirming his time is up as a game developer once the story is complete.

For someone as legendary as he is(in general and for Sega), if I had the capital to make that dream complete for him and he can ride off into the sunset, I'd do it.

I don't think SEGA-Sammy cares enough to organize "testimonial matches" for some of the legendary designers in the past. They are not interested in fulfilling the dreams of old employees. The only way they would get around to doing anything with the series is if they saw some money in it. I hope they saw some way to make it profitable.... but is hard for me to believe for some reason. :)

There is a lot of serious money involved in game development and the risks are almost non-existent nowdays. 110 took a chance on Wanted Dead and I can't even think how little they sold. It would be cool if this rumor was true, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I still think it's all up to us when it comes to Shenmue's future. And when the time comes, we need another kickstarter success to help publish shenmue IV. I hope I'm wrong, but right now I feel we fans are alone in this.

Last edited:
- new fiscal quarter just started, true.
- plublic moves and announces around VF series, very true.
Everything else should be handled with care but this noise comes from the unavoidable fact that S4 is closer to get some kind of announce or further official confirmation. It's been almost 4 years in the making now, and we have the seeds for a staged hacking+footage leak taking place already planted here and there, so... Expect the best, because everything is at our side.

I believe some kind of tease or declaration will be made after the VF tokens release date. That's a clever moment to ask Yu-san about, being Virtua not that distant of Shenmue that was Air Twister. Is polite from the start and both series pull of each other so he is more free to answer more deeply (in Yu Suzuki's scale of course😅).

About that 2025 shenmue 4 release rumor.
Someone posted a picture of Yu Suzuki on his birthday this year.
He was holding a mug with a kanji for "Year of the Snake".
And Year of the Snake is next in 2025.
A different user? Claiming to aknowledge inside info too?
We better look for weird pixels at that pic

Back