What are you playing?

I played a bit of Hi Fi Rush, what a nice surprise. I'm not into this games, never tried Jet Set radio, should I try it if I liked HFR?

I loved the cat and their voice

jet set radio?

i don't know how it plays on a modern console but jet set radio is an awesome game on the dreamcast, same with Jet set radio future (xbox). although the controls can be a little annoying.

if you don't mind waiting, bomb rush cyberfunk is meant to be coming out this year. bomb rush cyberfunk is the spiritual successor to jet set radio. (sega gave up on JSR)

best to watch some recent reviews on youtube.

have you played sunset overdrive?
I didnt. I think Hi Fi Rush its a mix of both of them right?

When I see those games, I always like the graphics but they gameplay (at least watching it) didnt convince me. But now with Hi Fi Rush, if they're similar I think I must play them.

I am playing Omega Boost on the PS1 and gun griffon on the Saturn. I really enjoy both games at the moment.

I also started to play the Dead Space Remake yesterday on Steam. So far it is also a good remake of the original.

The atmosphere und the new lighting effects are top-notch.

i just checked the reviews. :eek:.

dojo members need to stop hyping up 110 industries and tweeting them.
I wasn't expecting anything incredible from this game, but I was hoping for something really good or possibly lower side of great, maybe an 8 or 8.5 out of 10 in terms of quality, but this is a 7 at best and that's being generous, probably closer to a 6 or 6.5. It's not Cyberpunk 2077 levels of bad, but it certainly doesn't live up to the vibe that was presented in all of the trailers. It feels incredibly flat, generic and outdated. It's like having to suffer through a PS2 game in 2023 lol

I wasn't expecting anything incredible from this game, but I was hoping for something really good or possibly lower side of great, maybe an 8 or 8.5 out of 10 in terms of quality, but this is a 7 at best and that's being generous, probably closer to a 6 or 6.5. It's not Cyberpunk 2077 levels of bad, but it certainly doesn't live up to the vibe that was presented in all of the trailers. It feels incredibly flat, generic and outdated. It's like having to suffer through a PS2 game in 2023 lol
Your rating is a lot more generous than mine. If I’d paid for this with my own money I’d be pretty peeved, particularly at $60.

Your rating is a lot more generous than mine. If I’d paid for this with my own money I’d be pretty peeved, particularly at $60.
I paid $4 and am a bit uneasy about it. I'd ever pay $60 for something that is unproven. Last time I did that was a big mistake with Ghostwire Tokyo, and even that was better than Wanted Dead.

At least all the retro PS2/PS3 era fans will enjoy it. It feels like a game that would have been given an 8 or 9 out of 10 about 15 to 20 years ago. No effort to make it feel current gen.

I paid $4 and am a bit uneasy about it. I'd ever pay $60 for something that is unproven. Last time I did that was a big mistake with Ghostwire Tokyo, and even that was better than Wanted Dead.

At least all the retro PS2/PS3 era fans will enjoy it. It feels like a game that would have been given an 8 or 9 out of 10 about 15 to 20 years ago. No effort to make it feel current gen.
I’m not so sure. I consider myself to be a pretty big PS2/PS3 era fan. In fact, from what I could tell, I was pretty much this game’s target audience. Sadly, they seem to have focused on replicating all of the worst things about the sixth generation of consoles, while, as you say, completely ignoring all of the technological developments that have come about in the two decades since.

I wanted to like this game and I kind of respect them for sticking by their vision despite it being a flawed one (at least from a commercial point of view, anyway), but the end result is just not something I could ever get behind. They promised a lot but ultimately delivered dull and repetitive combat and an artificial difficulty that rewards luck more than skill. The music is pretty sick, mind, when it’s not being drowned out by the shitty audio mixing and god awful dub.

I’m not so sure. I consider myself to be a pretty big PS2/PS3 era fan. In fact, from what I could tell, I was pretty much this game’s target audience. Sadly, they seem to have focused on replicating all of the worst things about the sixth generation of consoles, while, as you say, completely ignoring all of the technological developments that have come about in the two decades since.

I wanted to like this game and I kind of respect them for sticking by their vision despite it being a flawed one (at least from a commercial point of view, anyway), but the end result is just not something I could ever get behind. They promised a lot but ultimately delivered dull and repetitive combat and an artificial difficulty that rewards luck more than skill. The music is pretty sick, mind, when it’s not being drowned out by the shitty audio mixing and god awful dub.
I feel like this would have gotten a pass 20 years ago easily. Its janky, clunky and cheesy which most games were at that time, not always in a bad way, just in a way that the technology hadn't come of age yet. I mean its not GTA 3 levels of brilliant for its time, but there was plenty of mediocre crap that at the time was really good (Killswitch, Freedom Fighters, etc) that is comparable in quality. Whats baffling about Wanted Dead to me is that it doesn't follow the evolution from previous games by these people. While I'd say Wanted Dead is easily better than Ninja Gaiden 1 from Xbox, its no where near as good as NG2 or 3, and 3 isnt even as good as 2 so it shows some inconsistencies within the developers delivery. NG 2 and 3 for their time were very 6 and 7 out of 10, with NG1 being about as 5/10 as it comes so I dont know why I expected more from Wanted Dead, I guess the trailers made it look more magical than it really is.

What would you rate Wanted Dead?

I feel like this would have gotten a pass 20 years ago easily. Its janky, clunky and cheesy which most games were at that time, not always in a bad way, just in a way that the technology hadn't come of age yet. I mean its not GTA 3 levels of brilliant for its time, but there was plenty of mediocre crap that at the time was really good (Killswitch, Freedom Fighters, etc) that is comparable in quality. Whats baffling about Wanted Dead to me is that it doesn't follow the evolution from previous games by these people. While I'd say Wanted Dead is easily better than Ninja Gaiden 1 from Xbox, its no where near as good as NG2 or 3, and 3 isnt even as good as 2 so it shows some inconsistencies within the developers delivery. NG 2 and 3 for their time were very 6 and 7 out of 10, with NG1 being about as 5/10 as it comes so I dont know why I expected more from Wanted Dead, I guess the trailers made it look more magical than it really is.

What would you rate Wanted Dead?
If push came to shove I’d give it a five, I think, though there’s a part of me that feels as though even that might be a bit too generous.

To be clear, my disappointment has nothing to do with the graphics (I actually quite like the art style they went with), nor am I too bothered by the terrible voice acting, short runtime, or wishy-washy story. This game was always going to live and die by its combat, and, for me, at least, it dies a pretty emphatic death.

Sure, there are a shit ton of awesome-looking finishers (I’m pretty sure there are still loads that I haven’t seen yet) and the idea of mixing sword and gunplay was pretty sick on paper. In practice, however, gunplay is straight up bad (at least using the AR, anyway - the pistol kind of works). As for the melee combat, the meat and bones of it is just so goddamn repetitive (I too am reminded of Ghostwire Tokyo, in this regard) and grew stale for me almost as quickly as it was introduced.

Then there are all of the technical issues (random crashes, godawful audio mixing, and choppy frame rates being the main offenders), which, in my opinion, are inexcusable in this day and age. Them saying “Oh but it’s supposed to be janky” doesn’t excuse any of that. It’s a fucking video game. It’s supposed to work properly, and, more importantly; it’s supposed to be fun.

If push came to shove I’d give it a five, I think, though there’s a part of me that feels as though even that might be a bit too generous.

To be clear, my disappointment has nothing to do with the graphics (I actually quite like the art style they went with), nor am I too bothered by the terrible voice acting, short runtime, or wishy-washy story. This game was always going to live and die by its combat, and, for me, at least, it dies a pretty emphatic death.

Sure, there are a shit ton of awesome-looking finishers (I’m pretty sure there are still loads that I haven’t seen yet) and the idea of mixing sword and gunplay was pretty sick on paper. In practice, however, gunplay is straight up bad (at least using the AR, anyway - the pistol kind of works). As for the melee combat, the meat and bones of it is just so goddamn repetitive (I too am reminded of Ghostwire Tokyo, in this regard) and grew stale for me almost as quickly as it was introduced.

Then there are all of the technical issues (random crashes, godawful audio mixing, and choppy frame rates being the main offenders), which, in my opinion, are inexcusable in this day and age. Them saying “Oh but it’s supposed to be janky” doesn’t excuse any of that. It’s a fucking video game. It’s supposed to work properly, and, more importantly; it’s supposed to be fun.
I agree with all of your assessments here, especially in regards to the combat. Gunplay is awful with the AR, it feels completely ineffective and not even worthy of using. Shooting an enemy non stop and them not dropping doesn't feel rewarding. The pistol is ok when used intermittently with the katana, but even that gets stale after 20 to 30 minutes. The more I think about it, the more I may have to lower my score. I'm going to give it a bit more time, but the more I play it the more I'm constantly reminded how average it feels, it screams Ninja Gaiden 1 and PS2 levels of jank and archaic gameplay in general, which is not a compliment. We left behind that era of technology for a reason.

I honestly had no idea until playing it that it was going to be a homage to that era of gaming as I only watched the trailers and didn't read into any articles from the studio, had I known that, I would have saved my $4 lol.

Ninja Gaiden 1 is by far the best of the trilogy tho.

Ok, I've put another 2 hours into Wanted: Dead and yeah, this game is the shits! It doesn't improve and now that the anticipation for its release has worn off, I'm somewhere in the 5 to 6 out of 10 range, with 6 being the top end of the score I could give it. It's just really really not good lol. I feel like $4 was too much for it retrospectively, but if I didn't try it, I wouldn't have known that, so no regrets for at least trying it and not spending much on it. For people wanting to try it out of pure curiosity, I'd suggest waiting until its on Game Pass/PS Plus.

I'm going to move on to giving Wild Hearts a try, something I had lower expectations for than Wanted Dead initially, but now somehow I doubt it could be any worse.

Have you played Wild Hearts? If so, thoughts?

Ok, I've put another 2 hours into Wanted: Dead and yeah, this game is the shits! It doesn't improve and now that the anticipation for its release has worn off, I'm somewhere in the 5 to 6 out of 10 range, with 6 being the top end of the score I could give it. It's just really really not good lol. I feel like $4 was too much for it retrospectively, but if I didn't try it, I wouldn't have known that, so no regrets for at least trying it and not spending much on it. For people wanting to try it out of pure curiosity, I'd suggest waiting until its on Game Pass/PS Plus.

I'm going to move on to giving Wild Hearts a try, something I had lower expectations for than Wanted Dead initially, but now somehow I doubt it could be any worse.

Have you played Wild Hearts? If so, thoughts?
I’ve heard good things about it, but am still not done with Hogwarts Legacy and so won’t have a chance to check it out before my vacation next week. Might give it a go once I get back if nothing else crosses my desk between now and then (I did want to play Ishin, but as I’ll be away during the release period, I had to hand it over to somebody else 😞).

I too took another dive into WD to give the mini-games a proper once over (I kind of ignored them during my main playthrough). With the exception of the Arcade shoot ‘em up, which I kind of dig, they are pretty dam bad.

I’ve heard good things about it, but am still not done with Hogwarts Legacy and so won’t have a chance to check it out before my vacation next week. Might give it a go once I get back if nothing else crosses my desk between now and then (I did want to play Ishin, but as I’ll be away during the release period, I had to hand it over to somebody else 😞).
It's my understanding that Ishin is the Yakuza game that takes place in the samurai period that already came out in Asia but is now getting an American release?? Or is this an entirely different game from the Yakuza studio?

Back