Sonic the Hedgehog thread

It's 2022. Every game disc without its patch is a coaster.

But seriously, I played through the majority of Sonic Colours pre new patch, but post-day 1 patch, if there was one (I always install the day 1 patches), and it was "fine". I didn't encounter the majority of the bugs and glitches that could occur, but it was obviously far from being the best remaster in the world. It was playable nonetheless. I am not a big Sonic Colours fan anyways though.

luckly there are still many games (especially japanese) that are still released in a complete state, especially on playstation platforms.
unfortunately the one that suffers the most are the western games, and colors ultimate was ported by a US based team.

Lol I was reading the comments section on an article about this content road map, and people are somehow spinning this into a bad thing. People are weird, man 🤷‍♂️

I completed the game at the weekend. I really enjoyed it from start to finish.

ThAt MeAnS iT wAsNt A fINiShEd GaMe.....

People make me laugh. Free DLC on an already decent game. Count me in.
I guess from an skeptical outsider perspective, it doesn't exactly look like a complete game to me (whatever that actually means), but this is just such a terribly timed complaint. Surely they realize that by saying this in response to free DLC, they're incentivizing publishers to charge money for DLC, right? Either because of the perceived implication that charged DLC = bonus and therefore the base game remains "complete", or because they think the game will be called incomplete either way and they might as well make some additional money on it.

Considering the fact they didn’t put in the effort to make any original levels, these should have been in to begin with at the very least. But it’s really too little too late - just screams Cyberpunk levels of “fixing” things.
I'm sorry but this is hyperbole.

If the game was that awful it wouldn't have got an average of 7/10. Not saying there's not issues, there clearly is.

But to compare this to the mess that Cyberpunk was is disingenuous and over exaggeration

Last edited:
I've been playing for a few hours and just got to the 2nd island. Just some general thoughts:
  • I really like the open world traversal and I had a lot of fun figuring out all of the platforming challenges. This is by far my favorite part of the game.
  • However, the open world is indeed very empty and the pop-in is egregious. If pop-in didn't affect gameplay, then it wouldn't be so bad, but I sometimes miss traversal pathways because of this.
  • I don't really have a lot of fun playing the rush levels. It's due to a lot of the same issues I've mentioned where it feels like the game plays itself and it's not really a platformer anymore. The 2D levels are hard to read due to how far away the camera is, plus all the busyness in the background.
  • Combat is ok - I like that there were a lot of added moves and enemies that require more than a bop, but once you learn how to kill an enemy it's usually easy and repetitious to kill them again. I'm interested to see how the combat evolves over the game. The squid fight was a highlight for me, even though it can be a bit of a PITA.
  • The presentation is WAYYYYYYYY behind the curve and the game feels a bit unpolished. Cutscenes are weirdly disjointed and feel like they have no purpose.
I definitely feel that the open world focus was a step in the right direction. I'd love for this idea to be incorporated into a Sonic Adventure 3 that has themed rush levels.

Sonic Frontiers is now my favorite game of all time. It's the game i never knew i needed. After finishing it two times in a row, i went back and played some 3D sonics i havent played since i was a kid. the quality of the sonic games is different in reality than my memory. Heres the conclusion I came to.
Sonic Frontiers>Jesus=Sonic Colors>Sonic Gernerations>>>>>Sonic Forces>Sonic 06>dog shit=Sonic adventure 1 and 2
yeah i said it!

Overall I DID enjoy Sonic Frontiers - The concept of open-world sections was well realised with small puzzles/pathways to interact with. I much preferred this structure to the laughable levels of Sonic Colours which would be 30 seconds long at times. Also, the loading times on PS5 are amazing, you can swap areas between like 5 seconds!

I like the aspects of the story and the extended lore with the ancient entities and how it relates to Sonic Adventure 1 - My personal favourite for all it's story related glory! But I wish there was more active story telling - Things happening in the present of the game. The construct of the Digital Dimension made the environments lack the sense of life needed - I just want more SA1 scenarios where you will walk up to tails house and suddenly get a boss fight. All the story segments in the game were dialogue sections or flashbacks.

I also found the game progression very messy, you could really avoid doing the traditional levels by exploring the word-hubs or fishing (Admittedly I never bothered with fishing until I got to the last area and I'm glad I didn't as rewards it offers breaks the game!) This is all a shame because the levels are peak 3D Sonic and deserve to be more relevant!

Beyond that I had a problem with the End - If you play on Normal you basically skip the last boss encounter... Which is an absolute joke and it did make the ending feel underwhelming. I only found this out after looking up that you have to put the game to Hard difficulty... Bit late for that as I've now experienced the nerfed version!

Despite the problems (Oh and navigating the 3rd Word-Hub sucked!), there is A LOT of potential with the structure offered in this game. Take this Structure, have Sonic, Tails and company in a perilous adventure which they have to take on in their reality and I think they can be onto a winner - Overall 7/10 I did enjoy my time with it.

Back