Random Shenmue Thoughts

New merch, maybe not what you are expecting...

Click the 100 Euro card.

New merch, maybe not what you are expecting...

Click the 100 Euro card.

It's sucks that none of these sites deliver to US

I haven't played Shenmue 1 or 2 for about 3 years.

I think it's because I know that when I reach disc 4 of Shenmue 2, the floating sword will be retconned, the tapestries we see on the walls of Shenhua's house will disappear, an extra room will magic out of nowhere and Shenhua's abilities will no longer be overtly shown. Not to mention that Bailu will be chocked full of Lucky Hit vendors, capsule toy machines and an arcade.

Not a bash on Shenmue 3 because in spite of all of this, Bailu was my favourite part of the game, but I wouldn't be able to shrug this from my mind if I reached the end of Shenmue 2.

I could just play the first game on its own or go as far as the end of disc 3 on Shenmue 2 but I'm all or nothing type of guy. I couldn't just ignore disc 4's existence if I got that far...

I haven't played Shenmue 1 or 2 for about 3 years.

I think it's because I know that when I reach disc 4 of Shenmue 2, the floating sword will be retconned, the tapestries we see on the walls of Shenhua's house will disappear, an extra room will magic out of nowhere and Shenhua's abilities will no longer be overtly shown. Not to mention that Bailu will be chocked full of Lucky Hit vendors, capsule toy machines and an arcade.

Not a bash on Shenmue 3 because in spite of all of this, Bailu was my favourite part of the game, but I wouldn't be able to shrug this from my mind if I reached the end of Shenmue 2.

I could just play the first game on its own or go as far as the end of disc 3 on Shenmue 2 but I'm all or nothing type of guy. I couldn't just ignore disc 4's existence if I got that far...
I still strongly believe the only things retconned have been the tapestries IN THE HOUSE, not the fact that we will visit those locations. The mountain tapestry is very likely the cliff temple, and Luoyang is directly mentioned by Shenhua in Shenmue III in very much the same context she describes the tapestry with in Shenmue II.

The Sword...probably retconned, but they also clearly wanted to go out with a bang, and definitely achieved that. I don't think the tapestries being in the house anymore in Shenmue III would carry that much weight, since you would see them constantly. I would have preferred, like you, that the house was left untouched, as well as the village remaining without the arcade and capsule toys, but it doesn't ruin the game for me.

At least your life isn't ruined like SEW.

Made the team AM2 Sega United with the Yellow Green Red colours and the stock stadium i chose was actually similar to JEF Utds stadium with Hattori as the coach. So my J.League journey begins

Back