Sonic the Hedgehog thread

That Sonic concert was absolute perfection. I've been a long suffering Sonic fan for over 28 years and as soon as that orchestra played, I was pretty much crying. I got 3 text messages at the same time saying the exact same thing.

The orchestra, Tomoyo Ohtani's band and Crush 40 absolutely nailed it. The only way it could've been better would have been to have seen it in person.
It was brilliant. I'm not afraid to admit I teared up a few times during the 16 bit medley. Wild to think of these simple chiptunes I grew up with being played by a full orchestra. Some real deep cuts too, Bridge Zone and Sunset Park boss !

I'm really looking forward to the Colours remaster now. Never played the Wii version but all those tracks sounded awesome

Sonic Mania is one of the best games I played last gen (still my gen). I spent hours on it. At one point it was my nightly ritual for a month. What a game. I'd never even been much of a Sonic fan. I always thought Mario was way better in 2D. That game turned me into a believer in 2D Sonic. Mario and Sonic are two totally different experiences. No need to judge one against the other, just like it made no sense to compare NiGHTS to Mario 64.

Sonic Mania is one of the best games I played last gen (still my gen). I spent hours on it. At one point it was my nightly ritual for a month. What a game. I'd never even been much of a Sonic fan. I always thought Mario was way better in 2D. That game turned me into a believer in 2D Sonic.
Right, lol? I've never been a big 2D Sonic fan, but even I picked up Sonic Mania on launch day and played the shit out of it. Taxman didn't just make a good 2D Sonic game, he made a good game just flat out.

2D Sonic is better than 2D Mario. Mario didn't flourish until he went 3D imo. Sonic Mania is the best 2D platformer ever made.

I honestly find Mario a bit underwhelming in 3D, Super Mario 64 (when it was new) aside! Maybe I'm just not big on 3D platformers. When I think of all the 3D character platformers I've played in the past 20 years, Ratchet on the PS4 might be my highlight!

Sonic is another subject but I think we're all familiar with the series' unfortunate and odd transition to 3D. I was as hyped as anyone else for SA, though, and I loved the hell out of it.

Right, lol? I've never been a big 2D Sonic fan, but even I picked up Sonic Mania on launch day and played the shit out of it. Taxman didn't just make a good 2D Sonic game, he made a good game just flat out.
It's so finely tuned and completely accomplishes what it sets out to do. I'd give it a perfect 10 if I were a reviewer.

I enjoyed 2D Sonic as a kid but as an adult, there only so much 2D platformers I can enjoy. I would like to see a really good 3D Sonic game but whoever the designer is of the current games needs to be fired. This over-focus on speed essentially turned Sonic into an on-rails game with very little challenge.

Sonic Rush?

They had on rails impossible super speed, but are you referring to Mania...?

Sonic Rush?

They had on rails impossible super speed, but are you referring to Mania...?
Just saying the 3D games feel more and more like they are on rails. I pretty sure there was even a console game where you could move Sonic left, right and centre using the shoulder buttons like a mobile game. I would like to see a 3D Sonic game which is a quality game not relying on speed all the time

3D platformer Sonic is overly reliant on speed & linear courses. I own Sonic Forces and it is not fun. The reliance on boost proves the levels have little depth. I also dislike the need to force inferior 2D sections into the games. I’ll probably get Sonic Colors for my kid, but that looks like the biggest offender of poor pseudo-2D Sonic so I’m sure I won’t enjoy it.

I have a feeling the next 3D release is going to be way different. There’s talk it’s much more open ended, which makes me think of something like Sonic Utopia. I don’t think a quality 3D Sonic is impossible, but it requires innovation.

Just saying the 3D games feel more and more like they are on rails. I pretty sure there was even a console game where you could move Sonic left, right and centre using the shoulder buttons like a mobile game. I would like to see a 3D Sonic game which is a quality game not relying on speed all the time
Ah, was mistaking your reference to 2D Sonic.

The 3D you're referring to I think are the early Wii exclusive games?

Sonic Colours and Generation are good. Both Adventures get cool-to-hate e-cred similar to Shenmue :D

Sonic Adventure blew my mind way back when and I think that helped me look past the non-Sonic levels, but SA2’s non-Sonic levels are horrible and pretty much ruined any enjoyment the Sonic levels provided. I couldn’t stand the Knuckles/Rouge levels.

I enjoyed the change of pace. The Sonic/Shadow levels are about even. 3D shmup levels of Tails/Robotnic were fun and slightly improved over E102, the emerald hunts were actual decent puzzles unlike the the first Adventure so they're about 50/50

Both are great and what one does better, there's another part the other does better; depends on my mood if I had to rank them. Quite similar to Shenmue and Shenmue 2, actually :unsure:

Not much to see yet, but I'm glad to see they're actually trying something new. (I admit that this gives some Sonic Boom vibes, but that's more a sense of PTSD). Thoughts?

It looks cool, despite its very apparent BOTW vibes. Not sure why everything has to be "open world" now. If they showed the same trailer but called this Sonic Adventure 3 I would be more excited, admittedly. Nostalgia bias. I'll wait for some reviews but would love to pick this up if it turns out decent.

Back