The 4 Chi You Men Leaders (Spoiler Alert)

Henry Spencer

I'm not a monster, it's only a mask.
PSN
harryangel666
XBL
Magiking
Thinking back to this interview Yu Suzuki briefly touched upon the 4 leaders of the Chi You Men, Lan Di being one of them, Niao Sun being another and he revealing that Ziming is not one of them but rather the other two are characters we have not yet met.

http://shenmuedojo.net/new/extras/interview1114.html

Q: There are 4 Chiyoumen bosses. Among them, fans are aware of 3 characters : Lan Di, Niao Sun and Hong Xiuying's brother : Ziming. Could you provide some details about the last one?

(Commentary : Iwas not even done asking the question that Yu Suzuki wanted to answer, here is what he said) :

Yu Suzuki : Lan Di (Rantei-Souryu/藍帝(蒼龍)) is the east leader. His name also means Blue Dragon. About Niao Sun, she also has another name : 炎帝 (Entei), and rules over the South part and is represented by a Phoenix.

Now, regarding the last 2 bosses, no one has seenthem yet. One of them isKoutei (昊帝) and leads the West part and is represented by a Tiger. The last one isGentei (玄帝), covers the North part and is represented by a Turtle.

Oh and, Ziming Hong is not one of the 4th leaders.

(Commentary : Here is the world exclusivity of this interview. You finally get to know that Ziming is not one of the bosses and you get to know the last 2 boss names! I saw them and know how they look like and Yu Suzuki has done a fantastic work. Please keep supporting Shenmue, it's really worth it!)

And there is a leader above them all called "Tentei", which translates pretty much to "god" or "creator". This character was talked about in the Shenmue Complete Guidebook (Japanese) translated by Kiyuu back in the old place.

Kiyuu: I believe it's certain. Because, the "Complete Guide," one of the Japanese official
guidebooks, states like this:

"Chi You Men is a secret organization that rules the Chinese black market.
Lead by the most powerful man named 'Tentei,' four leaders operate the organization.
... (omits)
It's Tentei who gave Lan Di the direct order to grab the Dragon and Phoenix mirrors,
but his real intention is still in mystery."

As well as the Chi You Men, there is a group called the "Grand Masters". A rival organisation to the Chi You Men? This image he states is not of the Chi You Men but rather that group:
http://shenmuedojo.net/new/extras/interview1114/clip_image014.jpg
So with so many antagonists for Ryo to face, you can sort of see why Suzuki doesn't want to end the game with Shenmue 3.

Which of the Chi You Men leaders do you think will appear in Shenmue 3? And does anyone have any theories on their story? And who the "Grand Masters" are?

Niao Sun will be in Shenmue 3. Her character model was in the teaser trailer and ysnet confirmed her during the kickstarter campaign with this image under the characters section.

0049c0a047aadbb1eb3607d9f4323798_original.jpg

I reckon Shenmue 3 will focus on Niao Sun and Lan Di and towards the end, the other two leaders will get introduce setting up Shenmue 4

Another good question would be where we will encounter the other Chi You Men leaders? Niao Sun will be the main antagonist of Shenmue 3, which makes sense since she is the leader ruling the South. Based on the teaser image of the Great Wall we can see that Ryo will be up north eventually. Possibly even meeting the Northern leader? Now for the Western leader, originally Ryo was SUPPOSED to meet a mysterious young girl (Shenhua) in Tibet. That was scrapped and Ryo meets her in Guilin. Will Ryo still eventually make his way to Tibet and meet the Western leader?

a7ad0b7fce20334d14e1e221a1f64870_original.png

The 'Four big bosses' leads me to believe that we will fight all four Chi You Men leaders in this game, with Shenmue 4 possibly focusing on the conflict between Tentei/the 'Chi You' (?) versus Ryo/The Grand Masters.

That, or perhaps some of those four include Chai and Mr Muscles.

Nah, Chai wants to join the Chi You Men, so it wouldn’t make sense for him to be one of the Grand Masters.

Yeah it’s pretty much confirmed at this point Niao Sun will appear, only question is what role will she play? She represents the Phoenix and Ryo has the Phoenix mirror, so what could that symbolize?

Anyone else remember that Project Berkeley video of the old guy in the snowstorm? Maybe he’s either one of the Chi You Men leaders or one of the 4 Grand Masters?

View attachment 931

The 'Four big bosses' leads me to believe that we will fight all four Chi You Men leaders in this game, with Shenmue 4 possibly focusing on the conflict between Tentei/the 'Chi You' (?) versus Ryo/The Grand Masters.

Notice that the "four big bosses" note is placed in the Composition stage, which is before the "S3 project plan" stage. Therefore the Composition refers to the overall story that extends beyond just Shenmue III.

THIS is the lore that I loved about the old theories thread and the like! :D

Niao Sun is showing up, as we know, but personally, I feel that the West will be revealed in this title and possibly the North as well; if we are only to get 5 games, then the North would be revealed in 4, along with Tentei.

As Ziming was with Niao Sun, he's going to probably show up in 3 as one of her right hands/dragons/etc., I feel.

I've always been under the impression that he'll have a heroic sacrifice due to seeing Xiuying or that he'll change allegiances, once he sees (or loses to) Xiuying.

But yeah, him not being one of the 4 was super surprising.

I'm going to sound like a total moron asking this, but it has only just occurred to me despite the four leaders being a favourite topic of mine:

- What exactly are the four cardinal points, and where are they located?

- Do they refer to the locations of Chi You Men branches in the north, east, south, and west of China?

- Do they refer to the divisions of one particular headquarters?

- In any case, where does Tentei reside, what with him being the leader of the organisation?

I'm stuck.

I'm going to sound like a total moron asking this, but it has only just occurred to me despite the four leaders being a favourite topic of mine:

- What exactly are the four cardinal points, and where are they located?

- Do they refer to the locations of Chi You Men branches in the north, east, south, and west of China?

- Do they refer to the divisions of one particular headquarters?

- In any case, where does Tentei reside, what with him being the leader of the organisation?

I'm stuck.

1. I believe East would be Hong Kong (or Shanghai, maybe?), South would be Guilin. Then West Tibet and North, Inner Mongolia or Beijing?

2. Indeed, they do.

3. Possibly, though that hasn't been made clear.

4. Sichuan? Not sure about this one either.

The thing with the 4 leaders is like the rest of the series; some answers are super defined and focused, others are cloudy and super murky.

Thanks for the clarification, dude! We're going to be encountering Niao Sun in Baisha, in one of the tulous, it seems. Should make for quite the boss battle. Throw Ziming, very likely Niao Sun's right-hand man, into the mix and shit is gonna get real.

Thanks for the clarification, dude! We're going to be encountering Niao Sun in Baisha, in one of the tulous, it seems. Should make for quite the boss battle. Throw Ziming, very likely Niao Sun's right-hand man, into the mix and shit is gonna get real.

That's right! Baisha is in Guangdong, my mistake!

That's right! Baisha is in Guangdong, my mistake!
£10 says the tulou in which the inevitable boss battle takes place is going to catch on fire - the fire growing more and more, with the destruction of the building becoming more apparent, the closer she is to defeat - and Niao Sun will seemingly perish in the blaze before emerging at a later point, thus reflecting her representation as a phoenix.

£10 says the tulou in which the inevitable boss battle takes place is going to catch on fire - the fire growing more and more, with the destruction of the building becoming more apparent, the closer she is to defeat - and Niao Sun will seemingly perish in the blaze before emerging at a later point, thus reflecting her representation as a phoenix.
That's some MGS boss shit right there lmfao

That would be incredible lol.

Despite Iwao dying, I don't think that any of the 4 will "die," so to say; I can see exile or imprisonment (unlikely) or something happen, but not death.

Have a super strong feeling Ziming will die, hence one of my scenarios above.

Back