Administrator
Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Destiny 2, Shenmue HD ;)
PSN
spud19870
Hello everyone,

You might want to grab a beer, tea or coffee and relax a little while you read our first post as Shenmue Dojo Co-Owners which is something we never envisaged happening all those years ago but here we are and we’re excited to get cracking!

Before we go into a little about us we would both like to extend a massive thank you to @Peter. When Peter took this place over in March 2018 we would not know the impact that he would bring with him. As we write this and look back at the past 2 years of his tenure all we can say is WOW! In the short time he was owner, Peter brought the Dojo into the 21st century, giving us a brand new website, forums and everything else in between. It is with his drive and passion that we can safely say we have inherited a wonderful community, tools and platform to continue his legacy. But more than that, Peter is a friend to us and we owe it to him (and all of you) to maintain the very high standards he has set here. Peter, if you’re reading this, thank you for everything you have done for the community and also in helping in preparations for taking the mighty Dojo on. We hope to see you back here soon!

So about us…..

James (SkillJim to some) is a Shenmue Dojo original having been signed up to the site for the best part of 18 years. Starting off joining the ranks as a member before joining the Dojo staff in 2018, managing the Dojo Twitter account before branching into videos, artwork, moderating and the rest of the social media. James has a huge passion for the Shenmue Series including attending Magic Monaco 2019 and an interest in Shenmue collecting. Not only is he a keen gamer but a lover of all things SEGA, retro and physical games; especially the Sega Saturn and of course Dreamcast. He has a wealth of SEGA knowledge, and pretty much a Shenmue encyclopaedia. Away from that James also runs his own YouTube Channel inspired by gaming and his love of Japanese culture (so inspired that he is now learning the Japanese language in his spare time!)

Spud (Matt) joined the Dojo in 2007 off the back of joining the Shenmue 500k community after being away from Shenmue since 2003 joining the Dojo Staff in June 2018 following a public recruitment drive from Peter for staff. This started by taking on the Dojo Facebook page, moving into the wider social media, before moving into a forum moderator role towards the end of 2018. Matt also attended Magic Monaco 2019 where a number of the Dojo staff met face to face for the first time. Away from Shenmue Matt is also a keen Sega collector/gamer as well as branching into more modern consoles and recently PC gaming. When not gaming, Matt can be found enjoying exercise in the gym or playing football as an erratic goalkeeper who may have had an accident or two over the years!

Hopefully that gives you a little taste about us. Now the Dojo doing forward….

Quite simply, Peter’s work has been nothing other than a success here and we want to maintain and build upon this outstanding platform. In short there won’t be many changes (if any) going forward. The bar has been set incredibly high by Peter and it is our job to make sure those continue and that we serve this community with the same love and passion every single day.

We already have a few ideas in the works that we want to investigate. We’re both extremely friendly and helpful people, and are happy to engage with everyone! Don’t be afraid to send us a message on any of our platforms, we’ll reply to everyone! Our door is always open from anyone in the community who wants to talk to us about anything.

We can be reached on the following:

DM on here

Personal contacts: Twitter @Skilljim and @MattOliver18

Dojo Twitter: @Shenmue_Dojo

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ShenmueDojo

Will all that being said, we are very excited to get cracking! Although we both already have frantic and busy lives, our passion for the series means that nothing will stop us from continuing to support and maintain this drive towards the future of the series, as long as it may live on for! We will strive to do our upmost to push for Shenmue 4 and beyond!

Thank you all for your ongoing support! We hope that you’ll continue to enjoy your time here, as Shenmue Dojo members, and as part of the greater Shenmue community as a whole! Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll welcome any co-owners who encourage me to drink a beer when reading their posts!

Seriously, though, I presume I speak for all of us in (at least) a twofold thanks: thanks first to both of you for stepping up for this role, and, second, thanks for continuing both the consistency and transparency that's made this community a welcoming home.
While I've never doubted the dojo will be in good hands, it's promising to see that it continues to be in great hands.

I've no doubt you guys will do a great job! Many of us will gladly give you our support seeing as our goals are the same; a shared love of Shenmue.

I've always appreciated debate on both sides of the fence and good debate is always welcome, so hope that the forum will continue to thrive and be a safe haven for likeminded souls.

Here's to the forum, Shenmue IV and the future (i'll have a whiskey shortly to celebrate)~

As I said in the farewell post, a banging duo we have here!

You guys have been incredibly fair and just mods/admins/staff the entire time, so I also have 0 doubt of great things continuing for the future!

That being said however, to expand a bit on your backgrounds ;) since you guys are Sega buffs, @spud1897 and @James Brown couple of questions:

1. Favourite game on all Sega consoles? SG-1000-Dreamcast!
2. Favourite Sega character outside of the 'mue series
3. Favourite food to eat while gaming?

Go!

As I said in the farewell post, a banging duo we have here!

You guys have been incredibly fair and just mods/admins/staff the entire time, so I also have 0 doubt of great things continuing for the future!

That being said however, to expand a bit on your backgrounds ;) since you guys are Sega buffs, @spud1897 and @James Brown couple of questions:

1. Favourite game on all Sega consoles? SG-1000-Dreamcast!
2. Favourite Sega character outside of the 'mue series
3. Favourite food to eat while gaming?

Go!
Now that's some questions....

Consoles in order for me, top-bottom
Dreamcast (Shenmue)
Mega Drive (Sonic 2)
Saturn (I spent hours on Sega Rally back in the day, love that game)
Master System (Sonic 1)

Never owned a Gamegear, Mega CD (though I have played one) or 32x as they're crazy expensive these days.

Sega character.... I would have said Sonic back in the day but they almost ruined him in the games, the film made up for it a bit mind. Kiryu is up there and Wolf from Virtua Fighter.

Pizza! All day Pizza!

Last edited:
Interesting, turned into a Q&A :D

Would love to own an SG-1000 one day, never played any of those games...but have recently been having an itch to investigate!

Favourite games after that tho...

Master System - Sonic 2 (Because I love pain :eek:)
Mega Drive - Sonic 3 & Knuckles...but without having a Sonic game as my answer to all consoles, i'll also say Super Fantasy Zone :)
Game Gear - Halley Wars, bit random but I love that game and it's music!
Mega CD - Sonic CD...haha, also love Road Avenger, and would say the best version of Final Fight!
32X - Only played Knuckles Chaotix, since I didn't own this addon!
SEGA Pico - Sonic the Hedgehog's Gameworld!
Saturn - NiGHTS Into Dreams all day long for me, but with this being my favourite SEGA console, there's so many incredible games, I could make a list of 20!
Dreamast - Shenmue ofc, but second would be Sonic Adventure.

Favourite SEGA Character, would have to be Sonic, I see beauty in every Sonic game, I love modern Sonic, even enjoyed Sonic 06, so I must be a weird one! Next favourite probably would be NiGHTS again :)

Food whilst gaming...i'm a little OCD, so kind of have to wash my hands before using a controller, keyboard, mouse...etc. If I think my hands don't feel normal at all, I can't play :p. So I don't tend to eat and play.

Hope that answers your questions, thanks Truck!

This question is directed towards @James Brown. Will your new admin duties affect upgrading the Suka Pass App?

Hey dude! Of course not! My toes are firmly dipped in projects all over the place haha...Shenmue is basically my life. Whilst I don't have the time I used to like I did a few years back, Suka Pass is my baby too, so i'm excited to continue to work on it and bring more features to everyone soon. Switch is doing an incredible job on the next update behind the scenes. We might be awhile, because it's proving very fiddly, but he's a wizard and we'll get there! :cool:

Hey James and Spud, congratulations to you both, thanks for sharing your stories with us, i enjoyed reading. I wish the best to both of you in this new chapter of the dojo. :giggle:

LetsGetShenmueIV :cool:

I've said this many times but I feel like saying it again. Thank you to the entire Shenmue community. In 2015 they dared us to raise 2 million dollars and we over achieved and raised close to 7 million dollars.

After Shenmue 2 I would always search the internet for any mention of Shenmue 3. That's when I discovered the Dojo. The Dojo allowed meet to meet people from around the world who also loved Shenmue. Also educating me on who Yu Suzuki was and how revolutionary the game design and mechanics were at that time.

I've always looked at ShenmueDojo as the heartbeat of the community. I believe if there was no ShenmueDojo we wouldn't have Shenmue 3. To the owners of old Thank Yu and to the owners of new Thank Yu.

Last edited:
Does the dojo accept donations? I've been a member since the old dojo back in the early 00's. I'd like to contribute to cause if I could.

Ahh man that’s super cool of you but we’re not currently looking to take donations!. There are alot of monthly fees involved, but it would feel wrong of us to jump straight in and start taking money from people lol. Maybe it’s something we can look into in the future though! Thank you so much for the generous offer, very kind, and thank Yu too :)

Back